The Devil’s Eulogy for Mankind


The Physician as the Devil, 1609
Johann Galle after the design of Egbert van Pandereen

Dear Creator,
I’d like to start off by thanking you, nay, applauding you-
For birthing Man.
Such complex creatures thine,
And with conflict, exploding planets that collide;
Sigh, Man.

Remember, remember- Man’s first disobedience,
‘twas just the fruit that was forbidden,
but hunger and greed brought death into the world,
brought woe and despair!
And now, I must say-
It kills me no more, how mortals die.

With the loss of Eden, Hell burnt larger than ever, my home;
Until one greater Man,
Restores peace and regains that blissful Olympian seat.
A Healer, a saviour, powers (almost) akin my own…
Not a God, nor Demon; but something much more powerful-
Man.
Remember, remember- the Forest of Eden-
Is yours, wherever you want it to be.

You seem perplexed, my friends, so let me shed some light.
It would be to my utmost delight.
I am forever a foe to what is wrong,
I am what Justice works to bring.
I am perhaps what you’d call, both punishment and reward,
When faith hangs by a fragile string.

And yet, my hands are tied.

The healer has a noose around his neck,
And you tied it, foolish mortals.
With every breath, a light goes out.
A light, a hope, a purpose, a life.

O’ healer, you are (still) draped in white,
For the angel you are,
And when you sleep, you smile a knowing smile.
You greet me as you’d greet an old friend.

And I wish,
That you were just as peaceful without an untimely end.

Dear Man- I now speak directly to you,
 you are innocent no more.
And yet, you cannot see the stab wounds that you inflicted-
Seared into the fate of mankind,
so frankly-
I’m still angry.

But everything seems more beautiful now, because I know it’s all doomed.
Remember, remember, Death is nothing, if not fair.
And you’ve ruined that for (my reputation) me now.

‘Satan the Prosecutor, saves an innocent healer from the Gallows.’
I’ve done it once, and I’d do it again,
But I beseech you,
The mind is a wonderful thing to lose,
For love. Not hate.
Not violence, not blood, not war.
Not against your own kind.
Not against those trying to heal you.

Remember, Remember, the Last judgment.
It shall not wrong you of your deeds,
Or spare you any mercy.

What you see in me, (I see in you) is dark,
And tonight, I shall show you true illumination.
Your reflection cast on a mirrored dark abyss;
My human incarnates, cursed for eternal damnation.

This devil and his world has a clear path and no thorns.
I promise to welcome you with open arms…
…but my hands are tied.
I’d heal you (I used to be a healer too) …
…but you’re the reason I died.

When I go to church on Sunday, I’ll tell Him about you.

Film: A Man Vanishes, by Shohei Imamura

A/N:
This was to hold up a mirror to Indian society about the hypocrisy it shows towards its doctors. Society thanks only its God for the miracle of life and avoidance of death -  Healers never ask for gratitude. Pay them tragically lesser than what their work merits - they would still continue to work for the passion of saving lives. However, we have come to a day and age where society punishes them for not having the powers of its Gods - and it’s time that they put down their scalpels and coats and let Society wither. This is in reference to those befallen in West Bengal, but also the 75% of doctors in India that have also faced violence at their workplace, in solidarity to all those that selflessly still labour in this profession. This community is selfless and kind, and the least it deserves is some compassion, support, respect and love and not to be taken for granted. I stand in solidarity against the mistreatment of Indian Medical Professionals.

Comments

  1. Many wrote on the topic from media to social media.This one truly stands out.its an outlier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts